To apply for this job, send a resume here.
Summary and Purpose
The Commercial Demonstration Plant (CDP) Research Technician positions serve as the pillar of the Research and Development operations of Danimer Scientific. The imminent development of Danimer Scientific’s Nodax PHA begins in the CDP and the Research Technicians are foundational to its success. It is the expectation that CDP Research Technicians will be subject matter experts in the manufacturing and testing of PHA and play a vital role in the support of future advancements in PHA production. A Research Technician I will have the aptitude to operate fermentation and downstream processing equipment and instrumentation as well as understand lab practices associated with the production of PHA.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Follow Standard Operating Procedures for existing fermentation and downstream processes
- Operate and monitor fermentation and downstream processing equipment to ensure efficiencies are met
- Perform routine equipment and instrumentation calibration, maintenance, and troubleshooting
- Observe, record, and communicate process observations and events
- Maintains good documentation, i.e. SOPs, runsheets, and notebooks
- Recognize abnormal, atypical operations or data; brings to the attention of appropriate supervision
- Supports general operations: identification and communication of supply shortages, ordering materials, area cleanup, etc.
- Delivers quality data/results; all requested samples taken and appropriately labeled
- Provides constructive, improvement-oriented feedback on SOPs and procedures
- Follows and adheres to procedures
- Knows and practices good safety habits
- Support defined experiments; identify and communicate potential improvements
- Record data completely and accurately, including basic calculations
- Recognizes conspicuous errors; annotates in research notebooks or batch records
- Perform autonomous maintenance on equipment
- Maintain a clean work area through good housekeeping practices
- Keep daily records of down time and machine operations
- Conduct hourly inspections to confirm the proper function and operation of all equipment and processes
- Any other task assigned in support of Danimer Scientific objectives and goals
- Collect and analyze fermentation and downstream processing data to perform root cause analysis and counter measure improvements
- Prepare technical reports detailing procedures, outcomes, observations, and study findings for the use by internal customers and Principal Investigators
- Identify bottlenecks and inefficiencies in production and implement alternative solutions as they relate to cost, quality, and production requirements
- Support of other engineers in solving problems associated with manufacturing for new or existing products and/or processes
- Support all fermentation and downstream operations in Danimer Scientific’s commercial manufacturing facilities
Education and Experience- Minimum Qualifications
- Associates degree in biology or chemistry preferred
- 3-5 years in manufacturing environment preferred or applicable military experience
- Must pass Research Technician Level I requirements during three-month New-Hire Evaluation Period
- Must be willing to travel 25% in support of Danimer Scientific commercial operations
Job Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Requires the ability to interact and work with associates at multiple skill levels throughout the company
- Proficient in chemical and analytical laboratory operations
- Skill in the operation of fermentation and downstream processing equipment
- Proficient in handling chemical agents
- Demonstrated ability to exercise a high degree of independent judgment.
- Proficient in using computers with Windows Operating System including Microsoft Office Suite including Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Ability to effectively manage workload to meet aggressive development timelines.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Able to interact, cooperate, and motivate across departments and functions.
- Posses a strong work ethic, selfless attitude, and be a self-starter
- Be willing to assist other teammates as required to meet goals
- Must be able to innovate, analyze and solve critical or complex technical problems
Work Environment and Physical Demands
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
- Work is performed in a chemical laboratory and polymer manufacturing setting; the handling of chemical agents will be required.
- Requires sufficient hand, arm, and finger dexterity to operate manufacturing and laboratory equipment.
- Requires walking, climbing stairs and ladders, bending and occasional lifting of material up to fifty (50) pounds
- Performance of this position will require exposure to laboratory and manufacturing hazards which require the use of personal protective equipment
- This position at times will require work to be performed on 12-hour shifts, day or night
- Upon successful completion of a medical evaluation, teammates will be fit-tested for a half-mask and full-face respirator and will be required to wear during specific job functions