Executive Orders and Memorandums
Executive Order 13693, "Planning for Federal Sustainability in the Next Decade"
In March 2015, President Obama issued a new Executive Order, EO 13693, Planning for Federal Sustainability in the Next Decade. EO 13693 directs federal agencies to reduce use of energy, water and hazardous chemicals as well as contains biobased-specific measures.
The new EO complements the laws that Congress enacted for the federal government to set the pace for the nation by buying biobased products, such as those made with soy. It requires federal agencies to include biobased products in at least 95% of all contract actions. Agencies must also set specific annual targets for the number and dollar value of contracts awarded that require the use of biobased products.
More information on EO 13693 can be found here.
EO 13693 revokes Executive Order 13514, “Federal Leadership in Environmental, Energy, and Economic Performance,” and Executive Order 13423, Strengthening Federal Environmental, Energy, and Transportation Management.”
Presidential Memorandum issued to promote biobased products
On February 21, 2012, President Obama issued a Presidential Memorandum directing the Federal Government to take decisive steps to dramatically increase the purchase of biobased products over the next two years. The steps include:
- increasing the number of products designated for preferred federal purchasing by 50%,
- requiring federal agencies to set goals and milestones for biobased purchasing and using scorecards to keep track of their progress,
- requiring tracking and public reporting of biobased purchases by federal agencies,
- increasing support for small businesses that manufacture biobased products,
- updating and expanding biobased purchasing education and outreach programs, and
- requiring USDA to prepare a report to the President on job creation and the economic impact associated with the biobased products industry.
The goal of the memorandum is to ensure that executive departments and agencies effectively execute Federal procurement requirements for biobased products.
Read the memorandum as published in the Federal Register, March 14, 2012.
E.O. 13693 revoked Section 1 of the memorandum.